Monday, November 19, 2012

Quickie Pepper Soup



Every now and then, I want to make a serving or two of soup without any hassle.  I don't feel like making a big batch and having to store it, or sometimes, I find myself with random leftovers, and see if I can whip up something quick and healthy for lunch, or dinner if I find myself in a subsidized single parenting situation.

Right before we moved, Kyle was away on a business trip.  I found myself in the odd situation of not having anything in the fridge (since we were cleaning the fridge out before our big move abroad).  I foraged through the fridge and came across some chopped peppers from a salad I'd had a day or two before and a frozen cup of pasta sauce, as well as a frozen cup of chicken broth in the freezer. It's amazing what you can come up with when you only have a few paltry leftovers in the fridge and you're sick to death of take-out!

This pepper soup is awesome and literally takes five minutes. 

Quickie Pepper Soup

You'll need:
  • 1/2 cup pasta sauce
  • 1/2 cup broth (chicken, veggie or beef will do)
  • 1/2 red pepper (or a whole one, whatever you have in your fridge!- you can mix other flavored peppers in as well if you want)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Instructions:
  • Heat a medium saucepan to medium-high heat.  Drizzle a bit of olive oil (no more than 1tsp) into the pan.
  • Roughly chop the pepper.  Toss it in the pan.
  • Cook for 1 minute.
  • Pour in the broth and pasta sauce.
  • Heat the pan to high.  Bring the pan to a boil.
  • Lower the heat to medium-high heat.
  • Cook for 3 minutes. 
  • Blend with a immersion blender or a blender until liquid.
  • Serve!
**Since I was the only one eating this, I added a bit of hot sauce and sriracha!  Make it however spicy or mild you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment