Friday, January 4, 2013

Lazy Le Mont Blanc

Happy New Year everyone!

I don't know about you, but this holiday season has been busy busy busy!  Holiday parties, school activities, and then some much needed family time has kept my family on the go for the last few weeks. 

This Saturday is La Befana, which is the evening before the day of the Epiphany.  In Italy, the night before the Epiphany,  La Befana comes.  The short version of this Italian tradition is this: Befana is an old woman that flies down the chimney and brings treats/small gifts to the good children, and coal to the naughty ones to celebrate the eve before the wise men brought the gifts to Jesus.  You might be thinking, "isn't that what Santa does?"  Italians will argue with you that there is a major difference. Trust me ... don't fight the Italians on this one.  Just accept that you get to leave the lady some cookies and wine and enjoy the extra goodies. 

When the Epiphany is over, my husband is going back to work, Laela back to school, and I will be starting Italian lessons (yay! finally!  I'm going native!)  What's ridiculous, is that I'm most looking forward to my Italian lessons so that I can take some of the cooking classes that I found that are taught by super cute Nonna's who speak Italianglish.  I want to really understand them so that I can share what I learn with you all...and so I can eat more lasagne...

Speaking of lasagne, I had the BEST lasagne the other day.  My buddy Sandro made lasagne that was so good, if I were dropped in a vat of it, I'd eat my way out.  Seriously.  When he forks over the recipe, trust me, I'll be making it for you all!

Until then, let me share this little nugget...

We went to dinner at a friends' house for Christmas.  I was feeling a bit lazy, but I had promised a posh dessert.  What did I make, might you ask?



The lazy person's Le Mont Blanc.

Lazy Le Mont Blanc

You'll need:
  • 4 oz good quality chocolate, finely chopped (I used dark chocolate, 50% cocoa- use whatever you have on hand, or what you prefer)
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 10 medium sized meringue cookies (I made my own, feel free to use packaged.)
  • (1) 1lb jar of vanilla infused or plain chestnut puree/spread
Instructions:

*The Nigella Express book that I found this recipe in calls for semisweet chocolate and 2 meringue nests (approx. 3in diameter each, from a packet).  I felt that Nigella would understand my lack of desire to traipse out into the rain to switch up from my chocolate choice. 
           As for the meringue, I had just made budino di cioccolato.  Since I had the leftover egg whites, I whipped up an easy meringue.  First of all, heat your oven to 375 degrees farenheit.  In a metal bowl, I whipped 3 egg whites until they had light peaks.  Then I beat in 1tsp cream of tartar and 1/8 tsp salt.  Once stiff peaks were formed, I gently and gradually beat in 3/4 cup of sugar.  Once a stiff meringue (a whitish-silver, smooth textured mixture, that when you pull up on your beater, the mixture leaves a point- like a peak- is what you'll be looking for) is formed, you can be fancy and put the mixture into a piping bag and swirl them into circles, or you can use a spoon to plop them onto the baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Place the meringue cookies into the oven.  Turn the oven off.  Do not open it for two hours.  The longer you leave the cookies in the oven, the crunchier they'll be!  Easiest. Cookie. Recipe. Ever.  And people will think you're a rock star for being able to make a fantastic meringue.

Now, back to business...
  • Get out 6 pretty glasses, or one pretty serving bowl. 
  • Sprinkle the chocolate evenly among the 6 glasses, or evenly in the serving bowl.
  • Whip the cream and vanilla.  Once it has formed the consistency of whipped cream, crumble meringue (I saved 6 for topping the mont blanc, but you don't have to), and gently fold it into the whipped cream. 
    • **A note on folding.  You are not folding clothes, and it is not the same as folding dough.  If you mix it, the whipped cream will get watery.  You want to gently scrape the sides of the bowl, and gently, gently, swirl in the meringue.  This is not one of those things that you have to get perfect, or that you have to make sure everything is evenly distributed.  Put down the OCD for a minute, and just let it be.
  • Evenly distribute and spread the chestnut cream/puree in the glasses.
  • Top with cream and a meringue if you have extra, or are feeling fancy.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment