Friday, October 21, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

Over the last few months, I've dared to get dangerous in the food store.  I let Laela use one of those little kid carts in the produce section at Whole Foods.  She gets to fill it with whatever she wants, and then we go home and try to figure out what to do with it.

Last week, Laela grabbed a butternut squash, something, I'm almost embarrassed to admit, I've never made.  I think it's delicious, but I usually ate it out or at friend's houses.  I tried looking up a few recipes, but I seemed to be missing an ingredient, or three, so I decided to just wing it.  The result?  A soup so deliciously simple and flavor packed, that it almost defies reason.

Butternut Squash Soup
You'll need:
  • 1 medium butternut squash
  • 2 cups chicken broth (I used homemade that had been cooked with lemon, sage, garlic, and rosemary)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 good shake of onion powder
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1Tb butter
  • An immersion or regular blender.  (If you don't have an immersion blender, and have $20 to spare, go out and get one.  It will really make your cooking life easier- and less messy!!)
Instructions:
  • Put a large saucepan on medium heat.  Add the chicken broth, garlic, butter, onion powder, salt and pepper to the pot.
  • Peel off all of the skin of the squash.  The skin is a little difficult to peel, and the squash is an awkward size, so I used a knife to peel and cut off the ends.  Just be sure not to cut too deeply, or you'll take away the "meat" of the squash.
  • Cut the squash into cubes.
  • Steam your squash cubes using either a steamer, or a pot with a steamer insert.
  • When the squash falls apart on your fork, it's ready to be added to the pot of hot broth.
  • Cook for 5-10 minutes. 
  • Blend together.  Taste to adjust seasoning. 
  • Serve and enjoy!!
Laela LOVED this soup.  We toasted some whole wheat baguettes and dipped them in our yummy soup.

*This will store in the fridge for a week, the freezer for 3-6 months.
*Roasted red peppers are a fantastic garnish for this!

I know that it might sound crazy to let my child loose in the produce department, but I really think it's teaching her to be curious and open to healthy foods.  I have a little girl who cheers "Banana!  Banana!" in the checkout line, and that's something I'll take any day of the week over those kids flipping out over wanting candy.  Give it a go.  Let your kid have a food-venture with you!  You never know what you will come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment