Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Very Cinnamony Breakfast Bake


    I love a good breakfast bake.  Truthfully, I love anything that I can throw together in five minutes.  This breakfast bake beats all breakfast bakes in that it got me through one of those mornings when I woke up tired and hungry with a hungry, growling family chomping at my heels to make breakfast. All it took was some yummy cinnamon bread from Great Harvest, a quick whisk of egg, milk, vanilla and cinnamon, and 20 minutes in the oven.  What's easier than that?  And how can you ever go wrong with anything cinnamon?
This may not be the sexiest looking breakfast bake, but I promise you, it's delicious.

Cinnamon Bread Breakfast Bake

You'll need:
  • 1/2 loaf of cinnamon bread (I used Great Harvest Multigrain Cinnamon Crunch)
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups milk (I used fat-free)
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 large egg
Instructions:
  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Place the sliced cinnamon bread in a 2 1/2 quart corningware dish or baking pan. (Thick sliced bread is generally preferable, but I only had thin sliced on hand.  I think that worked out better since I didn't have time to let it settle in the mixture for very long.)
  • Whisk the vanilla, egg, milk, and cinnamon in a bowl. 
  • Pour the mixture over the bread. (Try to pour it evenly over all of the bread.)
  • If you have the time, let this sit for 5-10 minutes so that the liquid seeps into the bread.  (If you don't have time, don't worry, it'll still be delicious!)
  • Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
  • **For an extra indulgence, sprinkle 3Tb raw sugar, and 2 tsp cinnamon on top of the breakfast bake for 5 minutes.  It will add a bit of extra sweetness and crunch to the bake.
  • Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment