Thursday, August 23, 2012

Spanish Chicken and Beans with Peppers


I love Goya Adobo seasoning.  While I'm not always big on pre-made seasonings, Adobo really is one of my favorites.  It reminds me of when I was in college, and my girlfriends and I would make these huge spaghetti pots of Spanish rice with beans, corn, peppers, and those weird little hot dogs all sliced up (it sounds gross, but oh mama, is that rice amazing) with hot sauce dumped all over it.  Seriously, thinking of that rice makes me salivate--and miss my college friends.

While this isn't the same recipe of my college years (oh yes, I will definitely be sharing that one soon), this recipe is just as good, and much, much quicker to make.  Also, I daresay this recipe is a bit healthier, as there is minimal fat, is packed with fiber, veggies, and protein.  Give this recipe a try.  It's one of the quickest, most flavorful meals you will ever make.  The best part?  If your family doesn't lick their plates and inhale everything you made, the leftovers taste even better the next day.

CaraCakes Spanish Chicken and Beans with Peppers

You'll need:
  • 1 lb chicken breast  (I pound mine 1/2 in thick, and cut it into cubes with scissors)
  • 2Tb Goya Adobo Seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp paprika (you can add more if you like it spicy- I'm the only one in my house who likes spicy food, so I just add more to mine)
  • 1/2 vidalia onion, diced
  • 1/2 red pepper, diced
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed
  • 1 cup chicken broth, or 1 cup water with 1 chicken boullion cube
  • Brown Rice (I used 10 minute Success Precooked Whole Grain Brown Rice)
Instructions:
  • Heat a large skillet to medium heat.
  • Pour 2Tb olive oil into the pan.
  • Once the oil is heated (you can flick water into the pan to check.  If it sizzles, the pan is hot.), add the onions.
  • When the onions are clear, add the red pepper.  Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.  If the onions or peppers start to stick to the bottom of the pan, add a tablespoon or two of water and scrape the onions and peppers from the bottom of the pan.
  • Boil water, and cook rice according to instructions.
  • Add the chicken, cayenne pepper, paprika, black beans, and broth to the pan with the onions and peppers.
  • Cook for ten minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked and the sauce has reduced (it will look less like soup and will have thickened a bit.)
  • Serve over rice.
  • Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment