Monday, October 25, 2010

A Simple, Healthy Fall Meal

When I think fall, I think chicken pot pies, roasts with potatoes, roast beef sandwiches double dipped, and lots and lots of soup.  I think I made it pretty clear in my last post that I've about had it with chicken soup, and when I started to come down with the diptheria that the rest of my house had, this herb infused, braised chicken with quinoa spirals and veggies was right up my alley.


The picture was kind of an afterthought because I was starving, so please forgive the shanty quality.


For the quinoa, I purchased some Ancient Harvest Quinoa Spirals.  I cooked the quinoa pasta according to the package.

Here's what you'll need for the chicken and veggies (this served 4 adults and 1 toddler):

(2) Large boneless chicken breasts
(1) Quart of organic chicken stock (or a quart of homemade)
Seasonal veggies (I used two Yukon Gold potatoes, 1 zucchini, 3 large carrots, and 2 stalks of celery)
(2) Sprigs Rosemary
(1) Small bunch of Thyme
(2) Sprigs of Sage (or about 8 large leaves)
(1) Tb chopped Garlic
Salt and pepper to taste

  • Heat your cast iron skillet to medium high and pour in the chicken broth, garlic and herbs.  Cut each chicken breast into thirds, and put them in the skillet with the lid on.  (This will "steam" the chicken and really bring out the flavor)
  • Bring the heat down to medium and let the chicken cook for five minutes without the vegetables.
  • Chop the vegetables (the smaller you cut them, the quicker they cook) and add them to the chicken/stock mixture.
  • Put the lid back on the pan and let it cook for another five minutes.  Bring the heat down to medium-low heat.  Stir the chicken and veggies around to make sure all the flavors are mixing in well.  Taste the broth.  If it doesn't seem flavorful enough to you, add some chicken boullion.
  • If you're not ready to eat quite yet, you can leave the chicken and veggies on low for up to an hour.  They'll get packed with flavor and really be delicious.  Just make sure that the broth doesn't reduce too much, because you want that sauce for your pasta. 
  • When you're ready to chow down, mix your pasta with your chicken, veggies and broth.  Just fair warning, if you've never had quinoa before, it's super filling (because it's filled with oodles of protein!), so maybe pace yourself slow so you don't stuff yourself like a turkey!
This week is one of my family and friends favorite spoooktacular holidays, so check in with me later in the week for some yummy spooky treats, and some sweet treats for my parents wedding anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment