Wednesday, October 27, 2010

To Poach, or Be Poached...


Growing up, I loathed eggs.  The only person who could get me to eat them was my Grandma Edna.  I'll never really know what the heck she did to those eggs, but they didn't really taste like eggs, and I loved their salty goodness. (I suspect that they were soft boiled and covered in cheese, but who really knows?  I was five.)


I don't think I really got to a point where I could stand eggs until I was in high school.  I tried eggs benedict and thought it was the bees knees of breakfasts.  Ever since then, I've been an egg fan.  

Today class, we're going to talk about my favorite kind of egg, and in many people's opinions, the healthiest way to eat an egg, the poached egg.  It doesn't involve any fat, grease, cream, milk, or butter.

I found a great video of Gordon Ramsey poaching an egg:

Once you get used to poaching eggs, you'll be able to get it done super fast.  Bring the pot of water to a soft boil.
  • Gently drop your egg in.  
  • Keep the water moving so that the egg doesn't stick to the bottom, or lose all of its white.  If you drop the egg in from too high up, you're liable to lose some of the egg white. 
  • Don't do too many eggs at a time, because they can stick together and the shape of the poached egg will get messed up.
It's may not look perfect the first few times you do it, but I promise you, it is easier than it looks, and it will taste delicious.


This is what it should look like close up.  You should be able to pick it up with your hands without popping it (unless you're squeezing it pretty hard).



Good luck poaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment