Monday, June 7, 2010

One Sick Mama, and Some Easy Veggie Soup

Sorry for not posting last week. I got wailed with strep, or something like it (we're still waiting on my test results), and it pretty much put me out of commission until today, and I have to say, I'm still not feeling myself.
One of the many things that no one will tell you about being a Mom is that you really can't afford to get sick.  You might be thinking, "Well duh, you're Mom, everyone needs you."  What you don't realize until you're a Mom that you could be dying, and you'd still have to do the dishes, or clean up the overflowing diaper pail, or make sure the baby ate all her breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack.  You don't realize that no matter how fabulous your husband is, or helpful your parents are, that you are Mommy, and no matter how much codeine cough syrup the doctor may provide, you will wake up when your baby is crying at 2 AM for you.

I don't know about other Moms, but I'm a crazy person when it comes to my kid.  I nannied for 9 years.  I had my share of sleepless nights because of a kid with the flu, or a baby with croup.  I had my 4 AM morning wakeups because of a belly ache or a bad dream.  I also had my share of nights where I slept through babies crying and little ones complaining, because I knew then, as I know now, that the children will survive crying for a while until they pass out and go back to bed. 

The thing that's different about being a Mom rather than a Nanny is how difficult it is for me to give up my control and just let things be.  It's why crying it out wasn't really and option for me for a long time because it literally made me cry too.  When we finally did it, she really didn't do it for too long, and I truly believe that because I wasn't anxious over it, Laela had an easier time.

This past week was as awakening as it was challenging.  Kyle was extremely helpful with the baby.  The poor guy had to work from home all week while taking care of the baby.  I think in a way it was good because it was the first time he really got to see all that I do, and that it's not all playtime and reading books.  It wasn't easy to not be the one to snuggle the baby back to sleep, or give her the giggles, but it was really sweet to watch Laela and her Daddy bond in a new way.

The moral of the story?  Let your husband, partner, or friend help you out when you're sick.  We are Mommy, we are Superwoman, but even Superwoman needs to accept some soup and some help now and then.

Of course...I've got to end this post with my most favorite, and of course ridiculously easy vegetable soup recipe ever..

Easy Vegetable Soup
1 bag soup mix veggies
4 peeled and chopped carrots
3 large chopped potatoes
1 quart veggie or chicken stock
1 jar of spaghetti sauce (I make my own, but it you want to use premade, that's ok)
1 minced clove garlic
1 cup water
salt and pepper to taste

Toss everything in a big soup or spaghetti pot.  Bring to a boil.  Cook on medium low for 20 minutes.  Serve immediately, refrigerate for one week, or freeze for 3-6 months.  I personally don't like how the potatoes and carrots taste frozen, so when I freeze it I leave them out and add them when I defrost it.

No comments:

Post a Comment