Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Anniversary Chicken

When I was single, I had a few rules that I tried to abide by (the key word here is "tried").  One of those rules was not to cook for a guy until we'd been dating for a reasonable amount of time, because otherwise, the next thing you know I'd have another idiot thinking that he either found a Mommy fill-in or a nice girl to take advantage of.  He'd get all crazy clingy and want to marry me or something.  And not take me to dinner anymore.  I don't know about the rest of you, but as much as I like to cook, I love to go to great restaurants and really enjoy some quality cuisine, delicious desserts (or hoity-toity desserts as Kyle calls them), and good wine/craft beer.

I was completely out of my element with Kyle.  I've always been a very free spirit, and didn't like to be held down or told what to do.  Hell, I have a cell phone and it wasn't until I had a child and a husband that worried that I began carrying the darn thing around.  I've just never been the leash- electronic or otherwise, type.

Anyway, the point is that once I met my husband, I saw him everyday.  Not practically everyday, not everyday but one day a week.  I'm talking everyday.  We ate dinner together every night, and damn it if I didn't break down and make the boy dinner much earlier in the relationship than I had ever planned.

So now, whenever it's an anniversary or Ky needs cheering up, I make "Anniversary Chicken".  It's a very simple breaded chicken that for some reason impressed Kyle's roommates (Doby declared that "it looked like restaurant chicken!" when we met), and I hope you enjoy it too.  Oh, and to all you parents out there, my little one LOVES this chicken.

Anniversary Chicken
(serves 4)
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
Bread Crumbs (doesn't matter if they're seasoned or not)
1 tsp Onion Powder
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 cloves Garlic (crushed)
3 sprigs Thyme (leaves only)
2 sprigs Rosemary (chopped finely)
2 Eggs
3 Tbs Milk
Sea Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)

Clean the chicken breast.  If you don't have great knife skills, no worries, just use some sharp kitchen shears.  If you're afraid of cooking a whole breast, you can slice it in half so that it's thinner, and cooks about four minutes faster.

Now that the chicken has been butchered, beat the eggs and milk together in a medium sized bowl.  Add the spices and herbs to the egg mixture.  Get another bowl and fill it with breadcrumbs.  Before you dredge the chicken, heat the skillet to medium low heat.  Add a few glugs of olive oil.  Let the pan get hot before you put the chicken in the pan.

While you wait for the pan to get hot, dip the chicken in the egg mixture and then in the breadcrumbs.  To test if the pan is hot, flick some water in the pan, and if it sizzles, you can put the breaded chicken in.  Cook the chicken for about six minutes per side (depending on thickness).

Let the chicken rest for a minute or two before eating it so it stays nice and juicy.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment