Thursday, December 22, 2011

Gingerbread for Jessica...

Since my girlfriend Jessica asked for my gingerbread recipe after checking out my breakfast bake, I figured I'd share it with all of you!

I got the recipe from Better Homes and Gardens: New Cookbook.  It was one the first cookbooks that I ever bought, and this recipe is really great- so long as you don't overwork your dough.  I made the mistake of thinking I could make this and keep Laela from climbing the walls, tables, etc, and it just wasn't a good idea.  I wound up running around while letting the dough mix itself into a tizzy.  My advice?  Make this recipe, it's super easy- so long as you're not super distracted.  (FYI, it came out perfect when I tried it again during Laela's naptime!)

Gingerbread

You'll need:
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup mild flavored molasses
Instructions:
  • Grease a 9x1 1/2 inch round cake pan; set aside.  In a bowl stir together flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
  • In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.  Add brown sugar, beat until fluffy.  Add egg and molasses, beat 1 minute.  Alternately add flour mixture and 1/2 cup water to shortening mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until combined.  Pour batter into prepeared pan.
  • Bake in a 350-degree oven for 35 to 40 minute or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for 30 minutes in pan on wire rack.  Serve warm.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment