Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Very Merry Breakfast Bake


I don't know about you, but the smell of gingerbread cooking in our house is one of my favorite smells.  It reminds me of all things holiday and cozy.  Since I'd made some gingerbread the other day, I thought it'd be fun to try making a traditional breakfast bake using the gingerbread. 

The result was pretty amazing.  I think I'm going to have to make this the night before Christmas, and put it in to bake while we open presents!

Gingerbread Breakfast Bake
serves 4-6, or 3.5 very hungry people

You'll need:
  • 5 slices of gingerbread (You want them to be about 2 in thick.)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup milk (I used whole milk for this recipe)
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp sugar
Instructions:
  • In a medium sized bowl, beat your eggs, cinnamon, heavy cream, milk, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and sugar together until well mixed.
  • Spray some Pam or non-stick baking spray into an 8x8 square cake pan (I used a glass pyrex pan).  If you choose to double the recipe, use a 9x11 cake pan.
  • Place the slices of gingerbread in the pan.
  • Pour the mixture over the gingerbread.
  • Let soak for at least 10 minutes.  I like to let this sit for longer, but no worries if you're in a rush.  You can also let is soak overnight and bake it in the morning.  Just let it sit out for ten minutes or so before you bake it (it's better for it to be closer to room temperature before baking.)
  • Preheat your oven to 350-degrees. 
  • Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the bake looks like a solid custard, and the bread is slightly golden on the sides of the pan.  (If it still feels soppy when you touch the top of it, it's not ready.  The inside should be a bit custardy, while the outside is lightly toasted.)
  • Shake a bit of powdered sugar on top.
  • Serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment