Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Hummus Veggie Sandwich


Hummus is a staple in our house.  Laela sometimes sneaks spoonfuls while I make a platter of pita chips, peppers and hummus.  Kyle loves it with crackers.  I love it with turkey on a sandwich, but mostly, I love it on a veggie sandwich.

You might be thinking, "veggie sandwich?!  Is this chic serious?!"  Well, yes.  Yes I am. 

It was a rainy day here in South Carolina, and all I wanted was a nice warm bowl of tomato soup and a sandwich- or a salad.  I couldn't decide.  I had made Laela and Kyle some yummy, gooey grilled cheese sandwiches, but I wasn't really in a cheese mood, so I went foraging in my fridge.  I happened upon some pesto, hummus, a tomato, some roasted peppers, a cucumber, spinach salad, and some tasty gorgonzola crumbles.  Hmmmm...salad or sandwich, salad or sandwich?

A salad sandwich!  I toasted a piece of double-fiber, whole wheat bread and cut it in half.  Next, I  slathered a thin layer of pesto on one side of bread.  Then I topped it with one slice of tomato, a few pieces of fresh spinach, 2 slices of roasted red pepper, a sprinkle of gorgonzola crumbles, a couple of slices of a cucumber, and a light sprinkle of salt and pepper.  After that, I spread some hummus on the other half of bread, and viola!  A tasty hummus and veggie salad.

This is one of those really healthy sandwiches that you can make with any veggies that you have hanging around in your fridge.  I've made this with just tomato and spinach, or tomato and cucumber.  Sometimes I add pesto.  Sometimes I don't.  I've used fresh basil leaves with tomato and hummus and it was delicious.  Give it a try!



No comments:

Post a Comment