Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mandolin vs. Cara

I fought the mandolin and the mandolin won. 

Kyle got me a mandolin for Christmas since I've always wanted one and because he thought it would make my life easier.  The problems came when I decided not to read the safety instructions, throw caution to the wind and slice up some fingers, er, I mean, potatoes.  Mandolin: 1  Cara:  0

I wrapped my finger in some towel and finished my potato slicing (even though Kyle was totally freaking out telling me to bandage my hand and that dinner could wait!)  I finished slicing the potatoes and tossed them in the hot pan with spices and proceeded to bandage my blood-gushing finger.  Mandolin: 1  Cara: 1

Kyle and I had a talk about how I'm too anal about hand-washing things like pots and pans and things that are sharp, even though the directions clearly say that they are dishwasher-safe.  Hey, you can do what you want, but my last set of pots and pans lasted 11 years, and baby, they never saw a dishwasher, even though they could.

Regardless, I decided to be a good wife and give in to his whim.  I put a few pots and pans and my mandolin in the dishwasher.  (Can you see where this is going?)

A few hours later, I start emptying the dishwasher.  Laela yelped for mama, and as I went to pull out a large pot, you guessed it, the mandolin won.  And I had to re-run the dishwasher.  Mandolin: 2  Cara: 1

Moral of the story?  No, I am not going to be a hypocrite who tells you that safety comes first and not to get super excited about a new "toy".  Just don't put anything sharp in the damn dishwasher.  Sometimes your way is the right way!

I'll be back next week (when it isn't so painful to type) with a great peas and cream recipe, a special breakfast recipe, and a bunch of pictures of some awesome goodies I created over the last two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment