Monday, January 24, 2011

A Super Easy Breakfast Bake

I don't know if I've ever made it clear just how much I love breakfast.  It's an absolute favorite in my house for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and everything in between!  After years of loathing eggs, it feels totally new and exciting to me to make the simplest of things with them...especially this deliciously easy egg, bread and cheesy gooey goodness.

Ingredients:
  • (1/2) loaf of French bread (leftover Italian bread would be fine too)
  • (1 1/2) cups of shredded Cheddar cheese
  • (6-12) eggs (depending on your number of guests, I usually do 2 to 3 eggs per person, depending on what type's of eaters you're baking this for)
  • (6-12 Tablespoons) milk (about 1Tb of milk per egg.  It's not an exact science; you really don't need to bust out the measuring spoons, just guestimate and I can assure you, the bake will turn out great.
  • salt and pepper to taste.

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Slice your bread.
  • Place the sliced bread in your cake pan. (I used a 13x9 pan).
  • Whisk your eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a bowl until well beaten.
  • Pour the mixture into the pan over the bread.  Make sure it's spread throughout the pan.
  • Place in the hot oven for 15 minutes, or until the bake looks golden and firm. 
  • Sprinkle the cheese over the bake and cook for 5 more minutes.  I prefer my bread and cheese a little gooey and crunchy, so I tend to leave it in a few minutes longer.  If you don't like your bread or cheese that dark, take it out when it's just melted.
  • Enjoy!
This is also great to make ahead of time.  You can mix the eggs, add them to the bread in the pan, wrap it up and refrigerate until you're ready to bake the next morning.  Just let the pan sit out for ten to fifteen minutes before you bake it, so that it doesn't need extra time in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment