Friday, March 4, 2011

Fry It Up!


I don't know about you, but every once in a while, someone in my house (ahem, Kyle) begs for fried deliciousness.  I usually give in with one fried item (Anniversary Chicken), but this time I gave in with some home made chicken nuggets, some fried frozen French green beans, and some manly corn (yes, I said manly, because my Mom self calls this a grain, not a vegetable.  No matter what anyone tells me.  And I sort of feel like it's always guys trying to convince me it's a veggie.)

Anyway, this meal is painfully easy. 

For the chicken nuggets:

Ingredients:
  • 2 large chicken breasts
  • 1 cup flour
  • Montreal Chicken Seasoning
  • Sea Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 egg
  • Olive oil
Directions:
  • Cut your chicken into 3 strips, and then cut those strips into squares.
  • Heat your skillet to medium heat, with a few good glugs of olive oil.
  • Whisk your egg with a good amount of water.  Make sure they are completely whisked together.
  • Sprinkle some seasoning, salt and pepper into the egg wash.
  • In another bowl, toss in the flour with some seasoning, salt and pepper.
  • Using one hand, put the chicken in the egg wash.
  • Put the chicken squares in the flour.  Use your dry hand to toss the chicken in the flour.  Ensure that it has a good coat of flour.  Do this with all of the chicken.
  • Put the floured chicken in the hot skillet.  After 2 minutes, turn the nuggets over.  Cook for 1/2 to 2 more minutes.
  • When the nuggets are done, put them on a paper toweled plate to soak up the oil.
For the green beans:

I didn't have any fresh beans, so I used frozen ones.  They will not be as pretty as you get in a restaurant, or if you were making this with fresh ones, but they will taste just as good.

You'll need:
  • 3 cups green beans
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • Montreal Seasoning
  • 1 Egg
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:
  • Whisk the egg, some Montreal Seasoning, some water, salt and pepper in a bowl.
  • Mix Flour and seasonings in another bowl.
  • Put the greeen beans in the egg wash.
  • Toss the green beans in the flour.
  • In a skillet that has been heated to medium heat with olive oil, add the dredged green beans.
  • Keep them moving around in the skillet.  They'll cook pretty quickly. (2- 3 minutes)
  • Put them on a paper toweled plate to soak up the oil.

I served this with homemade barbecue sauce, but my husband would shoot me for sharing that recipe, so serve it with your favorite barbecue sauce or honey mustard.  I cooked the corn with a bit of butter, salt and pepper.

Here's what a Mommy and baby portion looked like:


And just for the record, I don't get the whole buying premade chicken nuggets thing.  You can make these yourself, you know what's in them, and they freeze for 6 months to a year.  If your kid won't eat anything but nuggets, make a whole bunch, put them in freezer baggies, and reheat as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment