Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Beef and Ale Stew

Oh Spring, supposedly you're here, and when I look outside, it really looks like it!  Then I go outside.  And have to scurry in for my coat.  And scarf.  And normal shoes.  Ugh.  I was so looking forward to rocking some flipflops and being able to play outside for longer than 20 minutes! 

Alas, nature is not on my side.  The one benefit is that we can still rock out some stew!  (We live in one of those houses where certain foods are considered seasonal.  Kyle refuses to allow for hamburgers in Winter or lasagna and stew in Spring.  Personally, I could eat anything anytime, but I've got to respect his quirks.  And go out for hamburgers when I want one in Winter!)

We've visited a recipe similar to this before when I shared my beef beerguinon recipe, but this one has a lot less steps and takes some seriously minimal effort.  I used one of my favorite chefs, Jamie Oliver, for this one (thank you Food Revolution!), and added my own little twist.



Beef and Ale Stew
serves 4-6

Ingredients:
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 2 medium onions
  • 2 carrots
  • olive oil
  • 1 heaped tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 x 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes (or if you don't like chunky tomatoes, tomato puree)
  • sea salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 2 cups brown ale, Guinness or stout (I used Terrapin Brown IPA)
  • 3 fresh or dried bay leaves
  • optional:  1 cup diced tomatoes, 2 cups peas, 4 medium potatoes- red or yukon gold.
Instructions:
  • If using the oven to cook your stew, preheat it to 350-degrees
  • Trim the ends off your celery and roughly chop the stalks
  • Peel and roughly chop the onions
  • Peel the carrots (I was lazy and didn't do this), slice lengthways, and roughly chop
  • Put a Dutch oven on a medium heat
  • Put all the vegetables and your bay leaves into the pan with 2 lugs of olive oil and fry for 10 minutes
  • Add your meat and flour
  • Pour in the booze and canned tomatoes/puree
  • Give it a good stir, then season with a teaspoon of sea salt (less if using table salt) and a few grinds of pepper
  • Bring to a boil, put the lid on, and either simmer slowly on your cooktop or cook in an oven for three hours.
  • Remove the lid for the final hour of simmering/cooking and add a splash of water if it looks a bit dry
  • When done, your meat should be tender and delicious
  • Remove bay leaves before serving and taste to see if it needs more salt and pepper.
Here's where I deviated from Jamie...

I cooked some quartered potatoes in olive oil, garlic and onion powder and stirred them in with the stew when there was an hour of cooking left.

Since Kyle hates chunky tomatoes, I put them at the bottom of Laela and my bowls so we'd have them, and just poured the stew on top.

I also added some peas to the bottom of Laela and my stew, because well, I always like something green, and I had a hankering for peas.



This meal is delicious, and it just gets better with each passing day!

No comments:

Post a Comment