Monday, March 14, 2011

Five Minute Minestrone

I think I'm going to write Nigella Lawson a letter thanking her for writing Nigella Express.  It's the perfect quick food cook for someone who loves variety in their breakfasts/lunch/dinners, and doesn't always have a ton of time on their hands.

I was feeling kind of blah the other night, and seriously unmotivated to make dinner, so when I found Nigella's minestrone soup recipe, I dove into my fridge, grabbed the ingredients, and whipped up dinner so fast my husband was baffled how something so good could be made so fast!

Nigella's Minestrone in Minutes
Ingredients:
  • 1 14-oz can mixed beans (sometimes sold as mixed bean salad) or other canned beans
  • 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 cup tomato-based pasta sauce of your choice
  • 4 oz ditalini or other soup pasta
Instructions:
  • Drain the beans and put them into a saucepan with the hot stock and pasta sauce.
  • Bring the pan to a boil and then add the ditalini, cooking according to package instructions.
  • Once pasta is tender, switch off the heat, remove the pan to a cool surface, and let stand for 5- 10 minutes if you can bear to wait.  The pasta swells in the soup, and everything just gets better.  (Basically, once you've rounded everyone up and set the table, the soup is plump and delicious.)

I added some peas to Laela and my portions of the soup, because I just felt guilty having this without any veggies (although after I'd thought about it, I had put pureed carrots, celery and onion in my spaghetti sauce, so I really didn't need the peas.)

You might think this is one of those soups that's not super filling, but trust me, it really is.  There was enough of this soup to feed Kyle, me and Laela, plus two extra bowls for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment